Google

20 February 2010

Haiti Relief Necklace

From the moment I heard about the earthquake, I like everyone else in the world, felt the hopelessness and helplessness of a single human being. What could I, a mom...a jewelry artist, possibly do? I don't have the option of going there to help...I'm not even sure what skills I could offer. I don't have the financial ability to send a huge check. So what?

At this point it would be easy to sit back and say, I'll pray...offer good thoughts....hope for the best. But I am called to DO. I am called to make a difference. This I know.

I have made jewelry for different causes before...and the piece I designed to raise money for hurricane Katrina relief kept coming to mind. So I took out a pencil and my sketchbook...sat down and prayed...and thus, a re-design of that piece was born.


Here is the MOST important detail. For each piece we sell, we will donate $25.00 toChristian World Outreach, Inc. I have chosen this organization because they have been actively working to improve the quality of life in Haiti since 1979. Taken from their webpage:
"Christian World Outreach (CWO) helps people in developing countries improve their quality of life by reaching out to those who are shunned, forgotten, or marginalized by society. We treat individuals physically, emotionally, spiritually, and educationally. In the communities in which we work, we reach out to help make a difference one life at a time, by joining with the local people to provide holistic ways to improve lives."
What I love about CWO is that they have been there in Haiti actively working for many years as an established organization. They already have relationships in place & programs developed. They know the people and their needs better than anyone...and they are there to stay....long after other organizations have gone back home.

Here is the story behind the piece...because that is what I do. It is called the HOPE necklace...THAT is pretty self-explanatory. It will include a card which reads:













Allow this necklace to be a small, yet significant reminder of what we need to do in response to the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti.

We need to SURROUND those impacted by this disaster with HOPE - thus the significance of the silver circle encompassing the hope disk. It will take our faith, our hope and our love to feed their emotional needs...but it will also take our hands. We need to use WOOD, STONE and METAL, as seen in the individual beads, to rebuild what has been lost - to rebuild lives torn apart. We must LINK together, as represented by the silver chain, as a people united in order to serve others and share our HOPE for a new and better future.

I am one person, this is one necklace...but let's see what we can do to make a difference in the lives of the Haitians and show that we do, in fact, care.

DETAILS:
  • cost 74. + 4. shipping & handling.
  • sterling silver components - wood, hematite & ocean jasper beads.
  • necklace length 16" plus circle drop (contact me for alternate length).
  • click on the paypal button on the top right to purchase.
  • $25.00 from your purchase will be sent to CWO.
  • PLEASE contact me with any questions.

Thank you in advance for your support!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! If you have an email attached to your comment I can connect with you!

Otherwise, feel free to email ME! hello@StudioJewel.com

xo, lisa